Linwood Cemetery, Weston

About Linwood Cemetery, Weston

Linwood cemetery sits on 35 acres of rolling terrain, winding paths, native shrubs, specimen trees, and is a well-maintained example of the park-like, romantic style cemetery which became popular in the late 19th century. Dating from 1873, it is Weston’s largest and only active burial ground.

Linwood Cemetery has been the principle burial ground in Weston from 1873 until present. The original parcel consisted of nine acres, purchased on August 5, 1873 from Marshall Hews for the sum of $2,250. This land was conveyed “For use as a cemetery, and no other.” A new road (now Linwood Avenue) was constructed to connect the new cemetery to Central Cemetery (the Route 20 by-pass did not exist at this time). In August, 1904, the Town took 8.91 acres of land just to the south from Caroline, Frank, and Charles Hews for payment of $2,000.

Subsequent expansion through acquisitions of adjoining parcels in 1948 and 1951 brought the total area to fifty acres. The first burial of record is Alonzo F. Benson, 41, July 15, 1874; Pastor of the First Baptist Church, whose inscription reads “The First Tenant of Linwood Cemetery”.


Linwood Ave. Weston, MA 02493

Open Daily 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.